Monday, May 22, 2006

AD Training diary 5/21

I went to a Bikram yoga class in the morning. It was a good class. I'm starting to understand how it works. I've already seen some gains in flexibility. What I'm really hoping is that the gains in flexibility and strength help with my running. Some of the postures come right from my running stretches which is nice because of the familiarity with the movement.

I got together with PF for a long run at Creve Couer Park. PF hadn't gotten a chance to go shoe shopping yet, but I thought it would be fine in the very short term to run in hiking shoes. Before we started, I let him know that the goal was to cover the distance whether running, walking or crawling. The best way to measure an appropriate pace was to run at a conversational pace. We stretched for a minute and then we took off. I let him set the pace initially. The first half mile or so we covered at a rather challenging pace. After that distance I noticed that he was starting to breathe harder, so I suggested that we slow down the pace a bit. We took a water break at the one mile mark and then took off again. After we passed the 1.5 mile mark, we walked for a bit while he caught his breath. After the 2.0 mark we started running again. We kept going until the 3.0 mile mark and then walked the rest of the way in. I was rather impressed at how well he did.

This week I suggested that he do 20/30/20 minutes of running. The goal is to run at any pace for that amount of time, caring more about continuously going than about which pace he goes at. I'm going to ask MS to run with PF so that he gets to hear another experienced runner's POV.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?