Wednesday, May 31, 2006

PF Diary 5/31

I ran on Monday, but not well. According to the USATF route map, just a bit over 2 mi. And I couldn't run the whole distance. That was disappointing. I was with the inlaws and my mother-in-law smokes like a chimney. I always feel congested and crappy in her house. I think that might have had an impact.

Today I ran the route that I had intended for Friday of last week (i.e. I didn't get lost); about 3 miles. I managed to run continuously for about 2.5 miles of it, and ran/walked the rest as I could. Still I finished in 35 minutes, so I was probably running a bit too fast.

After finishing CCL without walking, I've been a bit disappointed with these two days. Though I do feel like I am improving.

Comments:
The most important thing is that you are getting out there and covering the distance. Being able to continue running at your pace is important and it will come. The mileage that you are putting in now is part of what we call your aerobic base. It is the foundation of our later season running. It is supposed to be long and slow. So if there is a chance that you are going too fast, slow down. Better to build a better base than run a better pace.

The easiest way to measure whether you are going too fast is to talk or sing while your run. You'll know that you are going at the right pace if you can avoid gasping as you run. Any sign of difficulty and you should look to slow down. The earlier you catch yourself the easier it is to recover.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?