Monday, May 22, 2006

Race Report: Science Center 10K

Science Center 10K
St. Louis, MO

I got up early in the morning to care for my son and get ready for the race. For my breakfast I skipped the usual eggs and bread for peanut butter and bread and plenty of water. Thankfully the race wasn't too far away from the house, so I was able to spend some time with him before it was time to go. I left the house about 35 minutes ahead of time because I wanted to get some time to warm up.

I got to the Science Center and did a little light jogging. After taking care of some last minute bathrooming, I walked out to the starting line. On my way I passed one of the Fleet Feet guys and I asked him about putting up pace placards to help with seeding. He said that it was something that they would definitely to for a marathon, but for these smaller races (under 1000) they thought there talk was enough. I countered that it helps those of us who want to pace with someone to find that someone before the race starts rather than trying to guess who is trying to run my pace at the first mile marker. He said that they'd look into it. My guess is that they aren't going to look into it too hard, but it was nice to talk to someone about it. As I lined up for the start I kept trying to guess how many 10k participants there were. I saw up to 53XX, so I think there were three hundred 10K runners. The 5K and 10K had the same start, so there were a lot of people there.

I got a good start much less impeded than the Chevy's run. I was also much farther up in the pack, so that may have helped. The first part of the course had a slight rise which helped pick off some of the weaker runners. I came through the first mile in 7:30. I thought that I was on pace considering that I wanted to run 7:30s. The second mile hit some more significant hills and I started passing some people who had started walking. I came through the second mile in 15:05 and thought I was on track. The third mile was a little more daunting and I started noticing that I was slowing down a little. I came through the three mile mark in 22:57. At this point I just wanted to hold on. The course did and out and back so I got to see the leaders as I headed into the fourth mile. After I made the turn I was able to see the pack behind me and it was oddly comforting. I was in the leading pack. I hit the four mile mark at 31:05. During the fifth mile I started losing touch with the runners around me. I came through the five mile mark in 39:30. Ahead I saw a hill and was encouraged. Ever since I ran River to River, I've been able to refocus when I come to a hill. I did the hill well, but not super well, but still came down with a good stride going. Heading into the last stretch I put everything I had left into a surge. I passed some of the people that I'd been pacing with. I crossed the six mile mark at 47:12 and powered through the finish at 48:22.

Mile Time Interval
1 7:30 7:30
2 15:05 7:35
3 22:57 7:52
4 31:05 8:12
5 39:30 8:25
6 47:12 7:42
6.2 48:22 1:10

In the end, I'm still happy with my time. I bested my earlier SR of 49:38 by 1:16. My pace averaged out to be 7:48/mile. I think I still can run faster at my current training level. It would just be a matter of running smarter. If I were to run a consistent 7:45/mile pace, then I would be at the same place but with better splits and a better likelihood of finishing well. I did wear my HRM during the race and I set it for my aerobic zone. I spent 10:30 in the zone. My average HR for the race was 171 or 88% of max HR (including a three minutes of forgot-to-shut-it-off-after-I-finished, so it was likely higher). The more I use my HRM for racing, the more I was to upgrade it. If nothing else I'd like something with a lap memory so that I don't have to remember my times.

I was sort of surprised to not run into any hashers I knew at this race. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised, but after seeing them at half-marathons and full marathons I thought a 10K might draw them out. I did run into a hasher who just moved in town (Greetings, Just Brian) and so I sent him to the hash website.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?