Monday, May 29, 2006

Race Report: UCity Memorial Day 10K

I woke up in the morning mercifully a little later than I'd expected. I got dressed and had some bread with peanut butter and some water. Oliver joined me for a bit and by 7:00 I was out the door. The nice part about having a race this near to your house is that you can do your warm-up on the way to the race. I was a little anxious about my level of preparation as I had passed out the night before at my yoga class and here I was able to run a 10K. My plan was to run 7:45/miles and then see what I had left at the end.

I got to the starting line and positioned myself in the front quarter of the pack. The start was relatively smooth with only a little jockeying for position. I came through the one mile at 7:30. The second mile featured a couple of long climbs that I excelled at. I would pass a whole bunch of people on the climb and then they'd pass me on the flats. I came through the two mile mark at 15:15. I had a bit of a confidence problem through the middle of the course. I came through the three mile mark at 23:08. The fourth mile had a couple of climbs that I did well at again. I came through the 4 mile point in 31:15. Mile five featured two tough climbs to get up to Hanley road and then to get up to the high school. I hit the five mile point in 39:40 and soon after I started my kick. I was able to keep up a good pace all the way into the finish, but I didn't end up having anything for the final push to the finish. I was pumping my arms and nothing was happening. I crossed the finish line at 49:38.

I didn't end up running a better time than the previous week, but considering the weather I think I did all right. I'll be looking to try again when I've got some more training under my belt.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?