Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Race Report: Firecracker 5K

The alarm was set for 5:00am. No, really it was. Neither of us heard it is all. So, instead of getting to the race with plenty of time to warm up, we arrived with a few minutes to spare before the start. in our rush out the door, I left my HRM, watch, and running hat at home. Once again, I had Oliver in tow, so we went to the back of the pack to await the gun. Thankfully, this was a chip timed event, so I wasn't really penalized for being a stroller dad.

When the gun went off, I waited a bit to make sure that the pack got off ahead of me before we left. The real benefit to my starting position was that I could just push to the outside and pass the slower runners on the left instead of getting trapped. As it was I put up a pretty good first stretch and when I made the turn I started looking back for Papaswoof and LH. But Papaswoof was running on my shoulder and burst past me. I missed the mile marker, but I felt like I had pushed it a bit too fast. The 1.5 mile marker was near the finish, so I sort of got a 1.5 mile split of 12:15. I thought I was in good shape to SR. I really started to feel the effects of the first part of the race about 2 miles and didn't pass many people until the 2.5 mile marker. We saw LH as we headed for home. I surged into the finish and registered a chip time of 23:15. Papaswoof finished ahead of me and registered a chip time of 22:19. LH registered a chip time of 29:42.

In retrospect, I think I ran a decent race, but there is a bit more that I would have liked to have been able to do. Regardless, I got a SR, so I'll stop complaining. And next time, I'll let someone else push Oliver.

Results:
http://fleetfeetstl.com/race_results/FIRECRACKER_2006_OA.HTM

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?