Monday, August 07, 2006

Race Report: St. Charles Flat Five

Phil and I arrived bright and early to the race. Phil went to register and I went to stand in the porta potty line. The guy on the microphone kept declaring that they wouldn't start the race until everyone had a chance to go. As such the race ended up starting about ten minutes late. Something tells me that they have "Add more Porta-potties" to their list for next year.

The start of the race went off without a hitch. I was able to surge out and get in position with no problems. I had a feeling that I was going too fast, but I didn't listen to it. When I came through the first mile under 7:00, I knew that I should have listened to myself. Instead I opted to hang on to the pace as long as I could, which ended up being about the 2 mile mark (14:10). The wheels started faltering as I did an 8:00 third mile (22:10) and a 8:20 fourth miles (30:30). I picked it up a bit on the home stretch and ended up finishing in 38:24. My average pace was 7:41, but if i had stuck closer to 7:30s, then I think I would have finished better. One to grow on, I guess.

Phil also started off too quickly, but he adjusted his pace better at the one mile mark. After an 8:00 first mile, he adjusted his pace and ended up finishing 42:86 or 8:31/mile.

Results

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?